miércoles, 12 de mayo de 2010

Those first couple of days

When we pulled up to the hospital and the attached orphanage, everything changed. . . every ounce of tiredness melted away as my eyes looked upon human suffering like I had never seen. I felt like I was witnessing a horror movie as I looked at horribly infected open wounds.

We were told that only a couple of doctors were there and they were busily running from person to person doing what they could. One of the doctors had been on vacation with his wife in the DR and when he heard what had happened he rushed to the border.

Shortly after we arrived a large group of Puerto Rican doctors showed up with a huge container full of medical supplies. Those first few days are a bit of a blur. I mainly organized and reorganized the pharmacy, ran back and forth getting supplies, and witnessed the tears, cries and desperation of those trying to seek help for their families.

There were volunteers from all over the world; Puerto Rico, Japan, Peru, Spain, the States, Mexico, Canada, all over. Everyone was trying to do the best they could, but there was so much confusion with people coming in from all directions, both volunteers and patients. No one knew who had and hadn't been cared for. Everyone pleading for you to help their mother, their son, their wife, their baby.

It was so overwhelming. We worked for three nights/days. I couldn't sleep. I think I slept less than 6 hours those first few days.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario