jueves, 27 de mayo de 2010

You just got here? Move these bodies

I had been at the hospital a matter of days, working in the little pharmacy when during a riot scare many groups were brought up to the main hospital for about 30 mins. Nothing actually happened, it had been nothing more than a rumor or unfounded fears, but it was enough of a "threat" that many had cleared out of the building where we were working.

I went over to talk to the people in charge of the hospital. I introduced myself as a local missionary and explained the situation at the other building asking for some security guards just in case. Pleading for more organization to improve the quality of care thereby reducing the chance of riots.

They cut me off. They were going off shift, and we should be too, so the riot and such would have to be handled by the next crew, what he did need from me was a call to the morgue. "Tell them we need them to come put up 1 body and 4 limbs right away. Here is the number." I called and the morgue said that their vehicle was not available, so someone needed to go to the morgue, pick up the box, load up the bodies, and bring them to the morgue. I explained this to the hospital leadership and they responded, "you have a truck right?" "Yes," I replied nerviously. "Ok, come with me, I'll show you where the bodies are."

What? I thought I was supposed to be going off shift? Welcome to the crazy world of disaster relief work. Comfort zones and normal professionalism do not apply here.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario